Posted in Windows-10
Sharing a folder allows the remote users using the computers within the same network access the contents of the folder that is shared. This can be done while using Windows 10 in home environments or in offices.
In order to share a folder you must be signed-in to the computer with an administrator account. Also it is important that your PC is connected to the network and is accessible by other PCs within the same LAN.
Once you are sure that your Windows 10 computer meets all the above prerequisites you can follow the steps given below to share a folder:
- As mentioned above use an administrator account to log on to your Windows 10 PC.
- Locate and right-click the folder that you want to share.
- From the context menu click Properties.
- From the folder’s properties box that opens up go to the Sharing tab.
- From the displayed options click Share.
- On the File Sharing box in the available field type the name of the user or group with whom you want to share the folder.
Note: The user or group with whom you want to share the folder must exist in your computer. If it doesn’t Windows 10 displays a message indicating that since there is no user or group by the typed name you cannot share the folder with them.
- Click Add.
- Once added to the list you can click the down arrow for the user or group under the Permission Level column.
- Choose the permission level that you want to set for the user/group on the shared folder. (Default is Read.)
- Click Done to share the folder.
- On the next box note the share path for the folder from under its name displayed in the Individual Items list.
Note: This path must be used by the remote users to locate and access the shared folder over the network.
- Click Done.
Another more advanced way of sharing a folder in Windows 10 is by adding the users or groups and setting the permissions more granularly. You can do so by following the steps given below:
- Follow the above instructions from steps 1 to 5.
- From the displayed options in the Sharing tab of the folder’s properties box click the Advanced Sharing button from under the Advanced Sharing section.
- On the Advanced Sharing box check the Share this folder checkbox.
- Once done click the Permissions button.
- On the next box that opens up click to select the user or group from the Group or user names list.
Note: You can also add a different user or group to the list by clicking the Add button.
- From the permissions list in the lower section check or uncheck the checkboxes to set the desired permission level for the selected user or group.
- Click OK when done and close all the opened boxes and windows.